Tuesday, June 16, 2009

A heritage of Faith and Service

I have sad news to report today, my grandfather William F. Sanderson died today. He went to go see his King and Friend earlier this morning. He was my mother's father and had suffered from Alzheimer's disease for over 4 years. Grandy Sandy as we called him, has not recognized us for several years now, so it is a blessing to see him go home and be in peace and healing in heaven. Grandy Sandy along with his wife of over 50 years, Mama Jean- Jean Sanderson, raised their children in a God fearing home with the example of hard work, dedication, perseverance, generosity, and service. Grandy Sandy served so much in his local church they gave him a plaque honoring him:) He visited the invalid in hospitals and home bound, and even those in nursing homes on a weekly basis. He went to church every week and was there to serve and love others into the kingdom whenever he could. Mama Jean served in the choir, helped at the church events hosting, cooking, and being an example of a godly woman. I have many memories of going to their church for one function or another and being bombarded with the statements of how wonderful my grandparents were. always making sure i knew how special and treasured servants of the church they were!
But more than there love of our God, service, and generosity I remember Mama Jean and Grandy Sandy especially on this day as loving me, loving our family- their family fiercely.
Family is and always be of the utmost importance in the Sanderson family(my mother's maiden name). When I was not even born yet we had Sanderson Family Camp. Every year getting together in the summer for a long weekend of fun, sun, skits, games, skiing, late night talks, and adventures in the woods. Grandy Sandy I remember one year after Mama Jean has passed away saying at family camp that he always slept better surrounded by his family:) He loved watch us kids being silly and laughed with us as we tried some new hair brained scheme.
I know this is getting to be a long blog, but my grandparents- all three sets (Mimi and Pat- my dad's parents, Grandy Sandy and Mama Jean- my mother's parents, and Jack and Luverne or LuJack as we call them our long time across the street neighbors) that i have were and are so supportive, generous, loving, having this heritage is mind boggling and humbling!
thank you Jesus for the privilege to grow up in this family, with these grandparents. thank you for bringing Grandy Sandy home to you so peacefully- i'll miss you Grandy Sandy, but will always proudly be blessed by your legacy.

1 comment:

Page said...

Hey Meredith! I got the news this morning about Grandy Sandy. I was glad (that he's finally at home) and sad knowing that this is a difficult time for you guys. We are praying for you.
The main thing I remember about Mama Jean and Grandy Sandy is going over to their house(s) to swim. They were always so warm and welcoming to us. I know they are greatly missed, but having fun in heaven swimming and playing with trains maybe. :) Love you cousin!